Monday, February 28, 2011

A Beginning?

I've had the idea to write my own blog for several months now. My oldest sister inspired me to do this through reading her posts. (She inspires me in many ways in fact.) I've often thought about how I might use this space. Much of blogging is process in writing and that of sharing yourself to the world. I'm reminded of how much I loved to write in undergraduate and grad school. I did a lot journaling in the mid-late 1990's, while wrestling my own demons. That was largely replaced with more scholarly writing to get through college. I miss it really and I hope that this blog may replace some of the cathartic process writing can bring.

Not having read many blogs in general, I'll be learning the process of writing regularly, how to 'invite' readers, etc. The best way to learn is to do.

My first thoughts about the use of a blog would be write on those thoughts and feelings that effect me at any given time. Let me say, up front about my admitted biases. I have lived on this earth for 50 years... a half century! Yikes. I am a gay man and have largely lived my adult life alone. I have lived with roommates and house mates on occasion but have never been married or engaged or have had a long term relationship that was any longer than one year. I did not admit my sexual orientation until I was 30 which got me started late in life. I've had a successful career in information technology that I left behind in 2000. I trained and entered the world clinical social work in 2000 and now work as a psychotherapist for a clinic who's mission is devoted to the serving of gay, lesbians, and transsexuals. I truly love my work and the place that I work. After 50 years, I can truly say that I am a happy man. That said, I consider myself to be socially and politically liberal (my brother would sure to call me a bleeding heart, and I accept that without hesitation. I suspect future blogs to be devoted to why that is, so I will leave that for another day). I consider myself to be a spiritual man in that I believe in something larger than myself exists beyond this physical world. I don't however believe in religion. We are all responsible to answer to our own higher selves. We come into this world alone and we leave it alone. Organized religion has done far greater harm in this world's history than good. So I don't see the point.

While I think and feel mostly content with my life, I also continue to struggle. I do believe that life is lived inside the struggle. Life is meant to continue to be examined and re examined as new experiences and contexts filter our points of view. So I attempt to use this space as a place to muse and take positions and just process my feelings as filtered through my thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment