Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I woke up this morning with a very strong awareness that March arrived. I've always loved March. It's my birth month and that of my brother, father and grandfather. My mother always loved to note that all the men in her life were born in March, all 5 days apart: her two sons, her husband and her father-- 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th. There is a nice synergy to that for my Mom.

I've also felt connected to March because of some astrological, astronomical and psychological connection. Regardless of the calendar or the weather, for me it's is the start of Spring. I left for work this morning at 7:30 and decided to cut through the park for the first time this year. The air was crisp and the sky blue. Certainly no real sign of Spring but it felt good to take the "scenic route" once again. There is still crusty snow and ice here and there and I expect that Spring will take it's sweet time to arrive, but March has in fact arrived and there was certainly a spring in my step on my way to work.

I've never minded Winter and in general always enjoyed the power of winter weather. As with all things in life, this Winter noted both significant high notes and low. I celebrated my one year anniversary in my new home. And as I've done much work in getting my kitchen to a level of organization and well equipped, I've done more cooking in the past 3 months then ever before. Cooking has become very therapeutic and cathartic. The planning, shopping, chopping, searing, brazing, saucing, seasoning and tasting have all been a delight. It is the first time in my life where I have felt a certain nesting I've never experienced. It is also the first time since living with my family of origin that I feel a part of a larger family with my best friend living upstairs and my roomie sharing this apartment. Cooking for them and my other friends has brought me joy, peace and a sense of sharing I've never had.

I also enter the 10th year of my new profession this Spring. This Winter has been especially stressful and difficult professionally. I've had to face a particular ethical dilemma dealing with a client's disclosure of behaviors that are illegal, immoral and damaging to others. The dilemma has resolved itself but the client remains and my professional obligation to treat the client and hold the story shakes me emotionally. I remember well when entering this profession what a huge responsibility it was. And, that intervening into people's lives was a larger responsibility. These past several weeks have reminded me like nothing else how true that thought is.

So March marks the beginning of Spring for me- And Spring is the symbol of rebirth and new life. In March I enter my second century of life (how dramatic!) and my second decade of a profession I love. So it seems I would have figured "it" out by now. But I haven't. Last Friday I told a client that life is lived inside the struggle. And so I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment