Monday, March 14, 2011

Life's Riches

This past weekend, my new friend Michael took me to Easthampton to visit an art showing of two of his friends from the area. Well beyond the art, I experience something far more special. I was introduced to a group of people that all seem to share something. Their connections were like a tightly knitted quilt, all coming together to form something special and warm and comforting. To show how small the world really is, I connected to a woman who attended St. Joseph's School and Parish in Springfield MA, several years prior to my attendence. Her last name was a familiar name in the parish and I am sure she knew of either my parents, aunts or Grandparents.

After the show, about 15 of us went to dinner a chic restaurant nearby. Since I was the least known of the bunch and had the fortunate spot at one end of the table, I was able to observe the party. And what a party! It was only today, as I thought about the weekend did I realize how rich these people are. It was truly wonderful to witness the diversity of people from ages 40s, 50s and 60s+ celebrate their lives. I'd guess that maybe 50% of us were openly out gay, single and partnered and 50% single and married straight men and women. It was joyous to watch everyone celebrate themselves because of who they were. They celebrated the art of their friends' show. They celebrated the coming together of close friends who travel from far to simply greet one another. It made me wonder whether the generations of my own family would be so at ease. One of the married couples stayed for cocktails after dinner with some of "the gays". They reminded me easily of aunts and uncles of my own from NH. I found them as open and accepting (more even) than some gays and lesbians in "liberal" Boston. They even mentioned how rich their own lives became as they got to know the group more intimately.

The following morning we visited the couple, Ron and Judy Edwards, who had their art show the previous evening. They have been retired for some time and have a lovely home in Westfield. I was given a brief tour of their studio. The interior of their home smelled much like my own Memere's in NH when I was a kid. In fact, she had two pie crusts at the ready for filling. It was fascinating to listen to stories of the children and grandchildren and how their art is so personal.

A close friend of Michael, Dennis who was our gracious host for the evening, commented about whether his life in retirement is full or rich. I'd argue that his life is quite rich. Not because of anything monetary or physical but because of the amount of love that is shared among these friends. I was honored to have witnessed it and to have bathed in it, but for several hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment